JOB DESCRIPTION OF COOK
RESPONSIBLE TO: Home Manager
REPORTS TO: Home Manager
OBJECTIVE: Our objective in Kilmorey Care Home’s is to provide a secure and caring environment with a homely atmosphere and to provide care and practice appropriate to individual residents of the highest possible standard.
PURPOSE OF JOB: The Cook is responsible for the provision of well balanced and nourishing meals and snacks to all residents and staff, and for ensuring the efficient operation of his/her function within a set budget.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the provision of good quality, home cooked food at all times.
- Ensure that meals are prepared at the agreed times and at correct temperatures.
- Responsible for the ordering of all ingredients in quantities, which are economically sound.
- Ensure that food is stored appropriately at all times.
- Maintain a high level of service and hygiene within the kitchen
- Ensure that the kitchen area, stores and dining room are maintained in a clean condition at all times. Assist in the setting up and cleaning of said areas when required.
- Compile seasonal menus, giving consideration to special diets, likes and dislikes of residents. Any changes to agreed menus must be discussed with the manager.
- Supervise and instruct staff as necessary in the preparation of food and on safety within the kitchen.
- Observe the correct use, care and storage of equipment.
- Report any breakdowns or defects in machinery or materials to the manager.
- Report any accident/incident which may occur to the manager.
- Observe good health and safety practices at all times, thus ensuring the safety of residents, staff and members of the public.
- Understand and follow the regulations required by the Environmental Health Department when preparing food.
- Ensure that all necessary records are maintained:
Record of actual food provided to the residents daily
Cleaning Schedule Record
Food Hygiene Records such as cooking temperatures, fridge temperatures, food delivery temperatures and hot holding temperatures.
- Read and understand the home’s policies and procedures in relation to:
- Health and Safety
- Cleanliness of the Home
- Control of Infection
- Fire prevention and fire procedure
- Code for food handlers
- Causes of food poisoning
- Waste disposal
- Handling and preparation of food
- Conform with the Home’s dress code at all times.
- Responsible for the daily management and supervision of the kitchen
- Be familiar with the fire drill and safety precautions relevant to your department.
This job description is not meant to be definitive nor restrictive and will be modified to meet changing needs.