JOB DESCRIPTION OF DEPUTY CARE ASSISTANT
RESPONSIBLE TO: Home Manager
REPORTS TO: Staff Nurse
PURPOSE OF THE JOB: To share with other staff in meeting the personal care and nursing needs of residents/patients in a way that respects the dignity of the individual and promotes independence.
To help in the care of the residents physical environment and in the general day to day activities of the Home.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist residents who need help dressing, undressing, personal hygiene, including hair care, nail care and facial care.
- Help residents with mobility problems and other physical disabilities. Attend to residents who are confined to bed and help to lift and turn these residents, using the equipment outlined in their care plan, as necessary for their care and comfort.
- Encourage residents to become involved in recreational activities available both within and outside the home.
- Contribute to the assessment of the resident’s response to residential care and participate in any diversion or therapeutic activities involving the residents.
- Report all accidents or untoward events immediately to your head of department
- Help in the use, care and cleaning of aids and personal equipment e.g. wheelchairs, walking aids, specialised chairs and beds.
- Assist residents to toilet/commodes and in the use of incontinence pads
- Complete accurately all relevant documentation e.g. food and fluid charts, turning charts, property forms, life stories etc.
- Be familiar with the Charter of Residents rights
- Make and change beds, tidy and clean lockers and bed tables. Empty/clean commodes. Look after residents’ property e.g. plants, photos; collect and put away laundry; empty/change bins
- Be responsible for ensuring residents clothing is appropriately named
- Ensure wardrobes are neat and tidy.
- Set tables/trays – Serve snacks – feed residents who need help. Prepare light meals and wash up
- Respond promptly to emergency bells. Answer the door and the telephone and greet visitors in the absence of the receptionist.
- Ensure all information regarding residents is kept in strictest confidence and documented accurately on daily report sheets.
- Follow and comply with ‘Home Policies’. Copies of all policies are on each floor and should be read, understood and complied with.
- Report on/off duty to senior member of staff and any other time when leaving the floor – attend hand-over reports
- Partake in the cleaning schedule allocated to Care Assistants
- Be familiar with the fire drill and safety precautions relevant to the Home.
- Any other duties that might be considered appropriate.
You should note that under the Health & Safety at work legislation you are required to take all reasonable steps while at work to ensure your own health and safety and the health and safety of those who may be affected by your acts and omissions at work. You are also required to co-operate fully with regard to the implementation of Health & Safety arrangements and you should not interfere with or misuse anything provided in the interests of Health and Safety and Welfare at work.
The job description will be subject to review in the light of changing circumstances and is not intended to be rigid and inflexible but should be regarded as providing guidelines within which the individual works.