JOB DESCRIPTION OF REGISTERED/ENROLLED NURSE
RESPONSIBLE TO: Home Manager
REPORTS TO: Home Manager
JOB SUMMARY: To work co-operatively and collaboratively with Nurse Manager/Deputy and co-workers in accordance with a written plan of care for a group of residents/clients. Work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary team to ensure care plans reflect current care needs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To pursue personal development relevant to professional scope of practice and maintain competency.
- Ability to identify care priorities and organise workload in respect of total needs of client groups, to deliver care in accordance with identified standards and contribute towards the development and progression of standards.
- To continue to maintain own personal clinical competence and ensure all clinical procedures are carried out correctly at all times.
- Undertake nursing and care assessments and develop prescriptions of care with instruction, supervision or guidance from manager.
- To incorporate research findings as applicable to current practice.
- To deliver and/or assist in the delivery of all patients’ care requirements including personal care, moving and handling etc as detailed in individual care plans and critically evaluate care in relation to clients individual needs.
- To identify own limitation regarding caring for client group to Manager or Deputy and accept and attend required training to upskill.
- To assume managerial responsibility in the absence of the Manager/Deputy.
- To delegate tasks appropriately to members of homecare team, according to individuals personal abilities and competence.
- To liaise with all members of multi-disciplinary team and record and report client response to treatment plans, care needs and problems.
- To act up as Team Leader/Primary Nurse.
- To develop awareness of the needs of the nursing home team and offer help, support and expertise as appropriate.
- Encourage all team members to reflect on practice and procedures and encourage all to air their views within team meetings or discuss them with their supervisors.
- Facilitate visits from RQIA and other officials required to inspect the home.
- To participate in junior staff educational programme and learning objectives and act as mentor once trained and competent.
- To participate in education of relatives and carers regarding aspects of care and appropriate health education.
- To actively pursue own learning needs in relation to appraisal and action plan. To participate in in-service training.
- To participate and contribute to practice development at Home level.
- Ensure care plans are constantly updated.
- Ensure care is delivered to a satisfactory standard by all staff
- To participate in client review procedures.
- Ensure that all documentation is legible and accurate.
- Adhere to the home policies, procedures and standards
- Ensure assessment and admission of new resident/client follows home policies.
- Record and report any complaints, incidents, or accidents, deaths, visits etc to the home Manager/Deputy and all other relative authorities as necessary in the absence of the manager.
- Ensure that all maintenance or repairs required are reported to the Home Manager/Deputy.
- Ensure economic use of all supplies within the home.
- Adhere to dress code at all times.
- To act as a professional role model to peer groups and subordinates, other health professionals and the general public.
- Ensure that NMC Code of Professional Conduct is adhered to and ensure confidentiality at all times. Ensure the requirements for revalidation are met.
- Ensure that regulations with regard to ordering, custody, storage and administration of all drugs and medicines including controlled drugs are adhered to.
The post holder must accept that this job description will be subject to review in the light of changing circumstances and should be regarded as providing guidance within which the individual works rather than something which is rigid and inflexible.